Referring a patient
To make a referral to Pilgrims Hospices services, use the Kent and Medway specialist palliative care form – available to download at the bottom of this page.
Referrals are welcomed from Consultants, GPs, Clinical Nurse Specialists, District Nurses and Community Matrons.
If the GP is not the referrer, please advise the patient’s GP of your referral.
Depending on the reason for referral, an appropriate member of Pilgrims Hospices team will make contact with the patient and agree an appointment time. This may be a clinic appointment (an appointment at the patient’s local hospice with an appropriate member of the professional hospice team – not unlike a GP appointment) or a community visit.
If the referral is urgent, a member of the team will make telephone contact within two working days.
For immediate advice and guidance, healthcare professionals may phone their local hospice direct. The guides below will help you decide if direct access is the best route to take for your patient.
- Download A guide to referring patients to Pilgrims Hospices services
- Download How to refer to the Living for Today programmes
Download referral forms
- Specialist Palliative Care referral form
- Specialist Palliative Care referral form (can be completed electronically)
- Living for Today referral form
- Rapid Response Hospice at Home referral form
Other useful downloads
- Download End of life care pathway in heart failure poster (a guide which helps to define appropriate patients for referral to Palliative Care services)
- Information about Pilgrims Hospices and the referral process is now included within the Dover and Shepway Directory of Primary and Community Services