Do you have a background in palliative nursing care?
Do you want to develop your nursing skills into a specialist role and be part of a pro-active multi-disciplinary and professional team, who put excellent patient care as their priority?
Do you have a passion for working collaboratively in an environment of thriving on positive change and making a difference to those with palliative and end of life care needs?
Are you passionate about supporting and empowering patients to live well until their very last moment in their life?
- Through holistic needs assessment
- Providing individually planned care informed by patient wishes
- Supporting patients and their families/carers to have open and honest conversations about their wishes for end of life care
If so, then the role of Palliative Specialist Nurse at Pilgrims may be just the job for you!
We are seeking well-motivated and forward thinking professionals to join our multi-disciplinary team, in supporting patients across east Kent.
Key duties include:
- Undertakes a comprehensive palliative care nursing assessment in the outpatient/telephone clinic, home or ward setting identifying an appropriate plan of care for patients and families based on clear goals intended to bring about effective, measurable patient / family outcomes
- Oversees the patient’s progress in line with the care plan and makes changes to plans when patients needs and preferences change.
- As an independent prescriber, prescribes medicines for patients in accordance with local policies, national standards and formularies relating to scope of practice.
- Promote the work of the Hospice through collaborative working with clinical and allied professionals, encouraging a multi-professional team working approach to support patients, families and carers irrespective of setting
- Initiates and undertakes audit projects to inform standards of practice, instigates and participates in research activities.
- Supervise and share knowledge and skills, imparting advice and recommendations for patient care to junior colleagues as well as other health and social care professionals as required.
Recognising the need to support employees working within this particular field, we provide an extensive range of physical and psychological support measures through our health and wellbeing programme, to ensure your success, including:
- A supportive and friendly working environment
- Regular quality interactions with our clinical and medical teams
- Strong working relationships with other members of the multi-disciplinary teams
- On-going training and CPD/career development
- Access to a range of resources to ensure our staff have access to help and support where and when they need it; and
- Regular self-care and development sessions
As an award-winning employer, Pilgrims provides end-of-life care services to patients and their families across east Kent.
Our commitment is to provide open, compassionate care and expertise for patients and their families – both in the community and in-patient units.
“Of a community where people with a terminal illness and their family and friends are supported and empowered to live well in mind and body until the very last moment of their life”.
We recognise that our workforce is integral to the delivery of our Vision and our charitable aims. Pilgrims Hospices continues to create a highly skilled, motivated, engaged and healthy workforce by providing an environment where staff and volunteers feel highly motivated to perform their roles to a consistently high standard, and actively role model our charitable behaviours and values.
To achieve our Vision, we have a shared set of values and behaviours that enable us to be the people and the charity that patients and their loved ones need us to be. They form our CODE, which guides us in our daily working and decision making:
Compassionate We treat everyone with compassion and care
Open We communicate openly, honestly and effectively
Dynamic We are dynamic, improving and developing our service
Empowered We empower people to achieve their outcomes
As an Employer of Choice, our commitment to supporting our employees and volunteers is a key priority.
Our Health and Wellbeing Strategy is an important step in ensuring the sustainability of our workforce, and clearly outlines our strategic intentions to improve employee capability, resilience, and engagement, to adapt to and embrace change as the health sector continues to develop.
Our hospices offer:
- Modern, friendly and highly professional working environments
- Opportunities for professional development through a range of extensive learning
- Alignment with NHS pay rates and continuity in membership of the NHS pension scheme
- A sense of achievement in supporting a worthwhile cause
- A sense of wellbeing
- A good work-life balance
- Locations across well-populated areas of east Kent – all providing very good road and rail links
- NHS and financial discounts i.e. Blue Light Card
- Cycle to Work Schemes
- Free hospice parking
We invest in our employees, which is one of the key things that makes us an award-winning employer of choice.
If you think this is your ideal role and want to join us and contribute to providing high quality patient care and support to those at the end of their life, please apply now.