Our volunteers truly make a difference to the lives of people across east Kent who are living with incurable illness.
Why volunteer for Pilgrims?
People are inspired and motivated to support us for lots of reasons. Many of our volunteers have personal experience of the palliative care and support we offer to patients and their families; some have a special interest or skill that makes a valuable contribution to Pilgrims. Volunteering can also help you to gain new skills in an area you’ve always wanted to develop.
My grandma had cancer and was cared for by Pilgrims. The care was so good that I wanted to help; it’s been great.
Vikki, Pilgrims shop volunteer
There are so many benefits to volunteering for Pilgrims:
- Make a positive difference to the lives of people in your community
- Feel valued and part of a team
- Build confidence and self-esteem
- Gain new skills, knowledge and experience
- Develop existing skills and knowledge
- Enhance a CV and improve employment prospects
- Use professional skills and knowledge to benefit others
- Meet new people and make new friends
- Evidence suggests that volunteering can have a positive impact upon health and wellbeing.
Whatever your age or ability, there’s a volunteer role for everyone at Pilgrims.
We would love to hear from you!
Pilgrims offer a variety of volunteer roles for all skillsets, some of which are detailed below and on our current opportunities page.
If you’d like to help but can’t find a role for you, let us know. We’re always keen to hear from people who can offer their skills on an ad hoc basis – you could support a one-off volunteering project or we may be able to develop a new, unique role for you that we’ve not considered before.
Our fundraising volunteers support Pilgrims in a broad range of roles. From event marshalling and running merchandise stalls at Pilgrims events, to collecting money at supermarkets and canvassing in the community, there’s something for everyone. If you have a creative flair, you could be a volunteer event photographer or videographer. You can also support us with press, publicity and marketing.
We’re also proud to be supported by young people across east Kent.
There are 31 Pilgrims shops across east Kent that stock a wide range of high quality items, including books, clothes, furniture and vintage curios. Each Pilgrims shop is supported to run by our team of dedicated shop volunteers. Duties range from helping customers to selling, sorting and displaying goods, and full training is provided.
If you love meeting new people, have good communication skills and want to give back to your local community, volunteering at a Pilgrims shop could be the perfect role for you.
We also have an eBay shop. Volunteers are based in our Chartham and New Romney offices sorting donations to be sold on eBay. Don’t worry if you’re not computer savvy; there are many roles available, including listing, packing, sorting, photographing and hanging.
Being a Pilgrims shop volunteer has lots of benefits, including:
- A fun and friendly environment to develop new skills, including EPOS till operation, merchandising, window dressing and stock sorting
- The chance to meet new people, both customers and fellow volunteers, develop interpersonal skills and build confidence
- A good introduction to working life
- A positive experience to add to your CV
- A reference (subject to qualifying period and satisfactory attendance)
- Free tea, coffee and biscuits!
To find out more about any of these roles, contact your local shop or check out our latest shop volunteering opportunities.
How to apply for a volunteer role
To apply for a volunteer role with Pilgrims, please download and complete an application form and send it to the relevant email address included on the volunteer opportunity listing.
We aim to reply to all volunteer queries within 48 hours.