Pilgrims Virtual Ride FAQs
2) Open the Pilgrims Event App and make sure you are viewing the cycling events tab by swiping right on the homescreen.
3) Click on the relevant cycling event tile to view its full details.
4) Scroll down to the route section and click on the 'I'm going' button.
5) At this stage, you will be asked to log into your MapMyTracks account. If you don't already have one, simply click 'Need an account?' and you can quickly set one up for free.
6) Once you have logged into your MapMyTracks profile on the Pilgrims Event App and clicked the 'I'm going' button, you are ready to start recording your first ride. After the event start date, you will appear on the interactive map/tracker alongside many other participants viewable via the app by opening the route map. Please note that you do not need to select any of the 'Track Live' features in order to record your rides and take part in the Virtual Event. 'Track Live' is a separate feature for premium MapMyTracks users and isn't required.
There are two ways to add your cycling activities to the event map/tracker; by recording a GPS activity using your smartphone, or by manually entering the distance via the Pilgrims Event App or MapMyTracks website. These two methods are explained below:
Recording your rides
1) To record your rides, you will need to use our companion app, MapMyTracks, which works in unison with the Pilgrims Event App. This is free to download from the App Store or Google Play via these links.
2) Once installed to your device, open the Map My Tracks app and log in. On the home screen, select the '+' symbol along the bottom of the screen. This will open up a new activity that is ready for you to begin recording.
3) Important: Check that the activity type is set to 'cycling' as this is required for your activity to count towards your overall progress along the tube line tracker. At the end of your activity, you must also ensure that the activity is saved as 'public'. Private activities will not show as progress on the cumulative distance tracker.
Entering your distance manually
There are two methods for adding manual activities.
1) Open the Pilgrims Event App and click on the 'head' icon in the top right-hand corner of the screen to visit the profile screen. Here you will see a list of your most recent activities, including previous manual activities and GPS record activities.
2) Click on the orange 'Upload' button and fill in the relevant details for the manual activity you wish to add; ensuring that you keep it set to public (i.e. leave the privacy checkbox unchecked).
3) Once you have filled in the date, distance, time and duration of your activity, click 'Save activity' and the distance will instantly be added to your total progress along the route map. The new activity will also appear as the latest activity on your profile screen.
1) Visit www.mapmytracks.com and log in to your account.
2) Once you have logged in, you will see a home page with various menu options along the top right of the screen. Click on the 'Upload' option and select 'Add Manual Entry' from the drop down menu.
3) You will then be able to fill in a few details about your recent activity in order to manually add your distance towards your overall progress on the event map/tracker.
4) Important: Check that the activity type is set to 'cycling' as this is required for your activity to count towards your overall progress along the event map/tracker. You must also ensure that the activity is set to 'public'. Private activities will not show as progress on the cumulative distance tracker.
If you experience difficulty with following the instructions above, you can contact Robert Grew at firstname.lastname@example.org or (Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm) on 07710 854029.
- That you have ticked the pink 'I'm going' button for the event within the Pilgrims Event App. The button can be found by scrolling down in the event to where the route is listed.
- That the activity type is set as 'cycling'. Only activities entered into Map My Tracks as 'cycling' within the event time frame will count towards your overall progress on the event map/tracker.
- At the end of recording your ride, you must select to save it as a 'public' activity in order for it to show your progress in the event map/tracker.
- Open the Map My Tracks App and press the three lines icon in the top-left of the home screen to open the options sidebar.
- Open the 'Settings' section of the sidebar.
- Then, scroll down to the subheading 'Tracking' and you'll see that there is an option for both 'Auto Pause' and 'Auto Resume'. You should ensure that either these are both set as off or both on. If auto pause is on but auto resume is off, your activities will pause when it detects you've stopped moving but not resume again.
If you prefer recording your rides on another fitness app (such as Strava), or simply forgot to record a ride but want it to still count, you can manually add these activities to your Map My Tracks account. Here's how:
- Open the Pilgrims Event App and click on the 'head' icon in the top right-hand corner of the screen to visit the profile screen. Here you will see a list of your most recent activities, including previous manual activities and GPS record activities.
- Click on the orange 'Upload' button and fill in the relevant details for the manual activity you wish to add; ensuring that you keep it set to public.
- Once you have filled in the date, distance, time and duration of your activity, click 'Save activity' and the distance will instantly be added to your total progress along the event map/tracker. The new activity will also appear as the latest activity on your profile screen.
- Log into your Map My Tracks account at www.mapmytracks.com.
- Click 'Upload' from the menu bar and select 'Add manual activity' from the drop down options.
- Fill in the details of your activity such as time. date and distance, making sure the activity type is set as ‘cycling’ and that visibility is set to public. Then, hit ‘Add activity’ and you’re all done!
The activity will now display in your overall progress along the virtual route map.
There may be occasion when you need to amend the settings on a recorded activity or manual activity within your Map My Tracks account.
This can be done via the following steps:
- Log into your Map My Tracks account at www.mapmytracks.com.
- Click 'Activities' from the menu bar and select 'My Activities' from the drop down options.
- Then, scroll down until you find the activity you wish to edit. Click anywhere on the map for that activity in order to open it.
- Once you have opened the activity, you will see an option called 'Actions' on the far right of the screen. Select 'Actions' and you will see a variety of settings that can be edited. These include the activity type and privacy setting of the activity, which should be set as 'cycling' and 'public' respectively for your activity to show on the virtual route map.
You cannot, however, edit the distance of an existing activity.
- If you are missing miles, these can be added by creating a new manual activity for the extra distance.
- If you have accidentally recorded or added too many miles, you will need to delete the erroneous activity and add a new manual activity for the correct distance.
- Lower the screen brightness setting
- Decrease the time it takes for the phone to go to sleep
- Close unneeded apps that are open in the background
- Turn off things such as bluetooth and wifi
If you are experiencing battery issues, the beauty of this event is that you don't have to use the Map My Tracks app (or any fitness app) at all, and still track your progress by entering it manually!
Whilst we’re being asked to exercise close to our homes, we want you to feel safe if you’re starting your rides from home or work by setting up privacy zones. We always recommend starting your tracking device a short distance into your ride to minimise security ramifications. In addition, you can set up privacy zones to hide these sensitive locations from appearing on your activity maps.
Your activity within a privacy zone is hidden from other users and only displayed to you. These zones will apply to all types of activities (e.g. cycling, running, walking).
To set up a privacy zone:
- Log into your account at www.mapmytracks.com.
- Click on your username in the top-right corner to display a list of options and select 'Settings'.
- Click on the subheading button 'Privacy'.
- Then click 'Create a privacy zone' to define the area.
Achievements are an exciting new feature within the Pilgrims Event App. During the virtual cycle, as well as the digital milestone badges along the way, you can now earn badges within the app for completing all kinds of Achievements.
The app will automatically recognise when you have achieved the criteria for any of the badges and add it to the 'Achievements' page within the 'Profile' area of the Pilgrims Event App, together with the date that you earned it!
Eg. Once you have recorded your first ride during an event, either by MapMyTracks recording or by a manual upload, you will earn the Back in the Saddle badge.
Full list of cycling badges to achieve
- Back in the Saddle: Complete your first ride during this event.
- Grand Tour: Complete ten rides during this event.
- Leg Spinner: Complete a ride of at least 25 miles during this event.
- Extra Mile: Complete a ride of at least 50 miles during this event.
- Gran Fondo: Complete a ride of at least 75 miles during this event.
- Century: Complete a ride of at least 100 miles during this event.
- Breakaway: Cover at least 25% of the event distance.
- On the Rivet: Cover at least 50% of the event distance.
- Flamme Rouge: Cover at least 75% of the event distance.
- Finisher: Complete the full event distance and cross the finish line.
- Tour de Force: Log over 10 hours of Cycling during this event.
- Cycle Tourist: Upload at least one photo during this event.
- Super Saturday: Log an activity on the first Saturday of this event.
- Everester: Climb the height of Mt Everest (8848 m) during this event.
- Click on your username from the menu bar and select ‘Settings’ from the drop down options.
- In the ‘User Info’ tab you can upload a profile photo which will appear within the coloured frame of you map marker.
- In the ‘Account Preferences’ tab you can change the colour of your marker from blue to red, green, purple, yellow or orange!
Yes! Within the Pilgrims Event App, head into the event you are taking part in and then open the participant list (the second menu tab). You'll see that your total distance is displayed underneath your name.
You certainly can! Social media and smartphone apps aren't for everyone and you can still track your progress without those things.
The first site you’ll need to visit is www.pilgrimshospices.org/get-involved/events-and-challenges. This is where you can sign up the your chosen virtual event via the ‘Register Now’ button. Entry is £5. If you scroll down the web page you will see the interactive map. This is where you’ll appear once you begin cycling. Click the blue button at the base of the map to load the rider positions.
Once you have registered for the ride, the second website you’ll need is www.mapmytracks.com. Create a free Map My Tracks account and then, from the homepage click on the ‘Events’ option in the menu bar and then ‘Find events’ from the drop down options. Search the events for one you are taking part in and click on it to open the event. On the next page click on the small grey ‘Attend’ button to add yourself onto the event.
At this point you are all set up and it’s time to log your miles!
To make yourself move along the route map, you’ll have to manually add your miles to your Map My Tracks account. This is easily done by selecting ‘Upload’ from the menu bar and clicking ‘Add manual entry’ from the drop down options. Then fill in the relevant details on your activity, ensuring to set the activity type as ‘cycling’ and the visibility as ‘public’. Once you click ‘Add entry’ at the bottom you’re all done. Your marker will appear on the map at the total distance you have entered.
Entry for the virtual cycle is just £5 per person. Once signed up you will receive detailed instructions on how to track your rides on the event map/tracker, bespoke digital badges to share at key milestones of your journey and dedicated support from our Pilgrims fundraising team for any virtual ride help you might need.
Every participant who finishes the full distance of a Virtual Cycle will be entered into the Rider's Hall of Fame.
We need your help to continue being there for people living with an incurable illness and would encourage you to raise as much sponsorship as you can for your challenge (after all, it’s no easy feat to ride all that way!)
Alternatively, if you'd rather not ask your friends and family to sponsor you, we hope you might consider making a personal donation towards the care we provide. This can be done when you sign up or at any time on our website donation form. Just put the event name as the reason for your donation.
By doing your part for Pilgrims Hospices, you’ll truly be making a difference to the lives of our patients. Here’s how:
- £10 could pay for a patient’s meals for the day
- £25 could pay for an hour of nursing care
- £30 could pay for our Community Team to hold a video consultation with a patient in their own home
- £45 could pay for a virtual counselling session for an individual coping with the loss of a loved one
- £90 could pay for all the medicine needed at one of our inpatient units over 24 hours
Events like these help us to continue caring for local people as they near end of life. Please download a sponsorship form, set up your own online fundraising page with Just Giving, or call 01227 812 609. Don’t forget to encourage your sponsors to tick the Gift Aid box if they’re eligible to do so; for every £1 donated, we’ll be able to claim an extra 25p from the Government at no cost to you or your sponsors. It makes a huge difference.
There’s no denying it – finishing the full distance of a virtual cycle will take dedication and determination. But don't forget that you have as long as you need to complete it and you can break the distance down over as many days, weeks as you need to suit your free time and ability level.
The 900-mile UK End to End journey, when broken down across the year comes to a manageable 19.1 miles per week!
Likewise, those looking to complete the full distance within 3 months would need to complete 70 miles per week.
Ride the Underground virtual cycle (250 miles) works out as an average of 4 miles per day over March and April.
There are digital badges that you earn for reaching key milestones along your virtual journey. These are sent to you in your confirmation email when you sign up to the virtual cycle. You are provided with these badges at the beginning of your ride so that you have the freedom to share them with friends, family and sponsors at the most relevant time for you.
There are also cycling Achievements within the Pilgrims Event App for completing specific goals such as logging a 50-mile ride, or climbing the height of Everest over the year.
As well as the satisfaction of watching your progress along the map, improving fitness, earning digital badges, achievements and fundraising rewards, there are two more accolades awaiting all riders who achieve the full distance...
Every participant who reaches the finish line will have their name entered into the Rider's Hall of Fame!
The Map My Tracks username of every participant who reaches the finish line of a virtual ride will be displayed alongside your fellow finisher's as a permanent online monument to your achievement. Hosted right here on the Pilgrims Hospices Website.