Climb to the ‘Roof of Africa’, Mount Kilimanjaro
Bring in 2025 above the clouds, by summitting Mount Kilimanjaro in time to watch the sunrise over a brand New Year.
Pilgrims Hospices gives you the chance to join the adventure of a lifetime – a 6-day trekking challenge to the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro: the highest free-standing mountain on Earth.
From the savannah heat to snow-capped peaks, you will traverse through 5 climate zones, all whilst experiencing unique flora and fauna along the way.
You will begin your adventure by following the Machame Route, traversing through the thick cloud forest, which will give you the chance to spot Colobus monkeys, antelope and much more! You’ll then cross the wide Shira Plateau, taking you above the cloud line, before passing Lava Tower and then onto the infamous Barranco Wall.
“Pole, Pole” is a phrase you’ll hear a thousand times on the mountain, a Swahili saying that means “slowly, slowly”. Slow and steady is the key to success on Kilimanjaro, as it will give you the best chance to acclimatise, whilst allowing you to pause and take in the magnificent surroundings.
The final push to the Uhuru peak awaits you, as you chase an unforgettable sunrise, before reaching the 5,895m summit for New Year’s morning. You will hear the cheers and celebrations of your fellow climbers all the way up the mountain, in what can only be described as the best way to start any New Year!
You’ll experience breath-taking scenery, unforgettable moments and a huge sense of camaraderie on your journey to the ‘roof of Africa’. It’s tough but achievable. With the right support, training and determination, anyone can make it to the top!
I learnt so much about myself that I would never have discovered if I hadn’t taken the leap and signed up with Pilgrims Hospices to undertake the Kilimanjaro Challenge!
Sonia, Kilimanjaro Summit Trekker
You’ll join a group of 20-25 like-minded people to share in the adventure, all supported by an expert support team of guides, doctors and porters.
This fully supported trek is organised by Action Challenge; they have 20 years experience in organising challenge events across the globe and have taken more than 6,000 trekkers safely to the summit with a success rate of more than 90%. What’s more, is that Action Challenge are currently offering a free 50km place on an UK Ultra Challenge worth £139, to help kickstart your training and meet like-minded adventurers.
- Return flights between the UK (London) and Tanzania.
- A land only option available
- Fully qualified Action Challenge leader and Local Head Guides / Assistant Guides
- Full medical support, including a UK doctor, 24-hour support and the National Park rescue service
- 3* hotels and meals pre and post-climb on a twin share basis
- Camping on the trek using quality equipment / private areas (twin-share basis) and large mess tents
- Private toilet tents for our group, kept clean and stocked by porters
- Warm water each morning
- Porters to carry your main luggage bag between camps and put up / take down tents
- Three meals per day plus snacks, all varied and wholesome; all meals on the trek prepared by the kitchen team
- Purified, treated and totally safe drinking water whilst trekking / camping
- Celebration dinner where you’ll receive a certificate and medal.
- Pre-Kilimanjaro trip briefing, training guides, kit lists and visa support
- Kilimanjaro mobile phone App to view all information about your trip
- Discounts with retailers / kit hire
- A free training event worth £139
Active travellers who want to experience the range of landscapes Tanzania has to offer and enjoy the challenge of climbing one of the Seven Summits of the world. Very good physical condition and fitness is needed, though no technical skill required.
What do I need to do?
Fancy feeling on top of the world?
You’ll need a deposit of just £395 to secure your place on this once-in-a-lifetime adventure. How you fund the rest is up to you!
Minimum Sponsorship Option:
- Pay £750 (£395 deposit + £455 final balance) + fundraise £5800
- Pay £1000 (£395 deposit + £705 final balance) + fundraise £5400
- Pay £1500 (£395 deposit + £1205 final balance) + fundraise £4300
- Pay £2000 (£395 deposit + £1705 final balance) + fundraise £3300
The above is for Flights Included packages, for ‘Land Only’ Packages, the fundraising target is reduced by £1,800
Self Funded Option:
- With flights = £3,695 total (£395 deposit & £3,300 balance)
- Land only = £2,695 total (£295 deposit & £2,400 balance)
Then, raise as much as you can for Pilgrims Hospices!