Non-Pharmacological Breathlessness Management in chronic and Palliative Conditions.
Suitable for: Occupational therapists, physiotherapists, nursing staff, assistants and any other health professionals who wish to learn more tools for a holistic approach to breathlessness management in palliative conditions.
Learning content includes:
- Breathlessness introduction and overview, including subjective components and considerations for patients with chronic and palliative conditions.
- Recognising and assessing breathlessness ( with considerations to relevant models, frameworks and standardised assessments)
- Review if lung function and overview of why and how some palliative conditions cause breathlessness ( physical and psychological)
- Non-pharmacological breathlessness management, to include:
-An understanding of anxiety and fatigue (including sleep), their physiological and psychosocial interrelationship in breathlessness.
-A variety of ideas, concept practical concepts and interventions to use with clients to reduce to reduce the impact of anxiety and fatigue in breathlessness
-Positioning techniques ( theory/practical)
-Breathing techniques, including fan therapy (theory/practical)
- Strategies including values, goal selection and practical ideas to help motivate and encourage mobility, exercise, SDLs and improve quality of life.
Within this, we will consider:
- Effects of breathlessness for patients with palliative conditions at various stages including end of life.
- Promoting self-management and motivation.
- Effects on carers/family and relationships, including how carers/family may affect breathlessness and assist management
- Role/skill appropriate psychological and emotional support.
- Environmental considerations eg management for patients in hospital/ at home.
- Chronic and acute episodes of breathlessness.
Various methods will include theory, peer exploration /discussion, practical exercises, practice of practical techniques, examples and client studies.
Date and location:
09th & 10th March 2020, 09:30 – 4:30,
The Ann Robertson Centre, Canterbury.
£150 charity or not for profit
This course includes lunch and refreshments.